Art activism has emerged, mainly among urban youth, as a counter-cultural movement of the arts. Identifying itself with social movement themes from the past, counter-militarism, racial and sexual discrimination for example, but focused on addressing these social problems through cultural expression, this type of activism has become a new type of gathering community that did not historically identify with the mainstream arts or social movements. Many of its practitioners integrate multiple art forms like mural and graffiti art, stenciling, music, street theater, poetry, performance, and appropriating temporary locations for events. This movement stands as a more inclusive, populist avenue for disenfranchised youth with opportunities for young people looking to self-identify outside the traditional spaces reserved for them. In this fact it can be listed as a viable military alternative.
More will be added to this page.
- Demilitarizing our schools with the arts
Here are some recommended links available to better inform you about art activism. This is a work in progress and NNOMY will be adding new documents as they are prepared and as policies change that effect enlistment. Check back periodically.
- ANTI-WAR MEDALS: ARTISTS RESPOND TO THE WAR
- ARTISTS FOR WAR CHILD
- default Social Design Notes: Design Against the War
Organizations you should know:
- AdBusters. Culturejammers extraordinaire; imaginative leaders of the anti-consumption, critical media movement.
- Art in the Public Interest. Fine resource on community art movement(s).
- Arts for Action - Oxnard, California
- Black Film Center Archive - Bloomington, Indiana
- Bloom Collective - Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Brown Pride. Multifaceted site on Chicano/Latina cultural activism in various media.
- Cafe Cultura - Denver, Colorado
- Centro Cultural de la Raza - San Diego, California
- Galeria de la Raza - San Franciso, California
- Groundswell - New York City, New York
- Justseeds Artist Cooperative - Chicago, Illinois
- Hawaii SPACE - Hawaii
- The Social and Public Art Resource Center (SPARC) - Los Angeles, California
- Urban Word - New York City, New York
- Voz Alta Project - San Diego, California
- Welcome to America's Finest Tourist Plantation - San Diego, California
- Yolocalli Arts Reach - Chicago, Illinois
- Youth Speaks - New York City, New York
- Youth Peace Group - Wichita Kansas
Articles on the web: