Thinking of Joining the Military to Gain U.S. Citizenship?

Dream Act DeferredCurrently, serving in the military can reduce the time before you can apply to become a U.S. citizen. Normally you have to be a permanent resident for at least five years or three years if you are married to a U.S. citizen. Serving in the military does not guarantee U.S. citizenship and it is not automatic. The military cannot guarantee or promise that you would become a citizen by serving. IF you are non-citizen, you should talk to an immigration lawyer before sign an enlistment contract. You do not want to serve in the military for years, only to find out that you cannot gain citizenship or residency after all. Also, there is no law in the U.S. that requires to join the military. You cannot be deported or denied citizenship simply because you choose not to enlist.

If you are an undocumented immigrant:

If you are undocumented, DO NOT approach a recruiter, or try to sign up for the military.
The military will not accept you if you are in the U.S. with undocumented status.
Lying about your immigration status to a government official-including a recruiter-is a crime. This can make you inadmissible for citizenship permanently, even if you later serve in the military.
See and immigration attorney if you have any questions.



Please see the article: Still Waiting, Still DREAMing

My Painful Withdrawal of Support for the DREAM Act

Subscribe to NNOMY Newsletter

NNOMYnews reports on the growing intrusions by the Department of Defense into our public schools in a campaign to normalize perpetual wars with our youth and to promote the recruitment efforts of the Pentagon.


Search Articles



This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues connected with militarism and resistance. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Donate to NNOMY

Your donation to NNOMY works to balance the military's message in our public schools. Our national network of activists go into schools and inform youth considering military service the risks about military service that recruiters leave out.